Tuesday 27 August 2013

WAKE ME UP! - Low Calorie DIY Vanilla Spiced Latte Recipe

Hey there sleepyheads!

Quick post today - I thought I'd share my much anticipated DIY vanilla spiced latte recipe which was inspired by the Starbucks Vanilla Chai latte that came out a few months ago in the UK. This recipe is much healthier and packs much fewer calories than the Starbucks version. If super-sweet coffee is your vice, I'm afraid this recipe might not be for you. But if you're like me and just wish you could have a coffee that tasted like coffee and a little something extra, then this recipe is PERFECT for you!

What you need:

Keeps me awake for the rest of my (often 12-13 hour) work day!

  • Boiling water
  • 1 sachet/tbsp of instant coffee
  • Soy/almond/hazelnut milk. I use unsweetened to lower the calories even more, but sweetened milk does give it the perfect taste.
  • 1/8 tsp of ground cinnamon
  • Pinch of ground nutmeg
  • Several drops of vanilla extract (optional)
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional - adds a kick!)
Directions:
  1. Place all your dry ingredients and vanilla extract into the mug.
  2. Pour boiling water to help mix everything, until the mug is 3/4 full. 
  3. Add milk to taste, or until the cup is full.
  4. Stir, and enjoy! 

I know what you're thinking - cinnamon and cayenne pepper?! As you may see in some of my past as well as future recipes, I try to use cayenne pepper as much as I can. Cayenne pepper has a huge number of purported health benefits and, along with cinnamon, has been reported to be help the body's immune system - including helping to fight inflammation and also promote weight loss by decreasing appetite. Of course, in one mug of coffee, the amount of spice we've used probably won't make much of a difference. But if you consider it in terms of the accumulative amount you might take in over a month - the benefits might be more likely to show ;) Plus, using spices in place of sugar to help improve taste is always a great way to lower calorie intake! 

Breakfast time - Veggies and steamed egg, check! Vanilla spiced latte, check!

I usually have my morning coffee with my go-to detox breakfast that keeps me full until lunchtime and stops my cravings for junk food and sugar. Look out for the recipe coming up soon!

Do you have any favourite coffee shop flavours that you'd like us to turn into a low-calorie, healthy version? Let us know in the comments and we'll figure out a recipe for you!

Nikki :)

No comments:

Post a Comment