Tuesday 20 August 2013

Berry-licious White Chocolate Pie #cheatdaysareokay

Sometimes, you just want something sinfully delicious and fresh that'll get the tastebuds dancing with ecstasy.


Looks just as good as it tastes. I almost couldn't bring myself to put a knife to this one....nah, I cut myself a slice as soon as I could ;)

Okay, so maybe that's a bit over the top. (But only a little ;P) Having just finished a set of night shifts, all I wanted to do on my day off was to relax and eat something a little special. With quite a bit of fruit in the fridge that needed finishing, some white chocolate and double cream, and a bit of pastry dough, this simple pie is a worthy cheat-day treat.

Glorious, glorious butter...I've tried to minimize the butter to keep it reasonably healthy for a pastry dough, so it could be worse!

A coarse in pastry-making. (Couldn't resist)


Ingredients: (Makes 1 9-inch pie)

To make the dough:
1 1/8 cup of flour (I used 50/50 of flour and oatmeal)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp very cold diced butter (the cold is crucial)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

To make the filling:
100g of white chocolate
160ml of double cream (has to be double or won't whip!)
1/2 carton of raspberries
1/2 carton of blueberries
1/2 carton of blackberries
5 strawberries

Equipment needed:
1 food processor (not necessary but makes things quicker)
1 electric mixer

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. 
2. Combine the dry ingredients together in a bowl/food processor. Then add the olive oil and butter. If using a food processor, pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Otherwise, use a knife to further dice the butter into the flour and use your fingers to rub the butter in. However, using this method you need to be quick as the warmth of your fingers will melt the butter and it needs to remain solid for the dough to roll out!
3. Shape your dough into a flat disc and use a spatula to spread the dough to fit your pie dish. 
4. Put your pie in the oven for 20 minutes. Afterwards, cool completely before placing any filling.
5. Chop up the white chocolate into small pieces and place into a heatproof bowl. Heat the double cream to a boil and pour onto the chocolate. Mix with a spatula until chocolate is fully incorporated and dissolved.
6. Refrigerate for 2 hours. 
7. Use the electric mixer to whip the mixture into stiff peaks. This should take around 5-10 mins with the mixer on high speed.
8. Spread the chocolate mousse onto the pie crust in the dish. 
9. Decorate with your fruits.
10. Eat!


Yes I ate that. I also ate another piece after that. Night shifts make you do that :P

Hope you enjoy your slice of pie! I know I did ;) Let me know in the comments if you liked this post and want to see more cheat-day recipes! And if you try this recipe, let me know how it turned out :)

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment